Thursday, 23 May 2013

Death of Mr H Moses 1926

Public Man and Pioneer.
After a career which demonstrated with its variety, resource, and success the romance of business, Mr. H. Moses, formerly a member of the Legislative Assembly, and, later of the Legislative Council, known widely for a score of activities, died on Saturday. He was 93 years of age.
For many years Mr. Moses had been an active figure in the commercial, industrial, and pastoral life of New South Wales, and only in the last year or two had he relinquished some of his responsibilities as the guiding hand of some of the largest business organisations in the State.
A native of the Hawkesbury River, Mr. Moses commenced business as a flour miller when a young man. He pluckily bought a mill that from a business point of view was considered a failure, and although he was handicapped by lack of experience in the trade developed the business on sound lines. About 40 years ago he retired from this industry, and by keen business acumen he became a prominent figure in the city.
He was a director of the old Australian Steam Navigation Company, and for many years of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney, the Perpetual Trustee Company, the Australian Gaslight Company, Rich and Co.: and the Commercial Union Assurance Company. In the later part of his life he became interested in pastoral properties, and owned Yowendah and Moorabie stations, fronting the Castlereagh and Barwon Rivers, Nombi Station, on the Liverpool Plains - which formerly belonged to Sir Patrick Jenning - Comballo Station, on the Mehi River, and Terryhiehie Station, near Moree.
Mr. Moses also owned several large city properties, including the building now occupied by Proud's, Limited, jewellers, at the corner of Pitt and King streets; Primrose Buildings, in George-street; Fenchurcb Building, in Pitt-street, which he sold about three years ago for £85,000; and several buildings In York and Oxford streets. In Queensland also Mr. Moses was interested in several station properties.
Mr. Moses commenced his Parliamentary career when he entered the Legislative Assembly as the member for the Hawkesbury electorate on December 18, 1869, and he continued to be the district representative until November 3, 1880. Two years later he was elected for Canterbury, but he resigned from the seat in 1885, and was subsequently appointed to the Legislative Council. He resigned his seat in the Legislative Council in July, 1923. Tbe King approved of his retaining the title Honourable.
Mr. Moses had six sons and three daughters, Messrs William and Frederick were the owners of Comballo Station, and of the famous Arrowfield stud. They bred some of Australia's greatest racehorses including Poitrel. Mr. Henry was for many years a prominent cricketer. Mr. Herbert is a solicitor; Mr. Frank is interested in the wool business; and Mr. Leslie for a number of years was connected with the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. Of the daughters, Amy married Mr. J. A. Thompson, a Sydney solicitor; Lurline, Brigadier-General Price; and Ella Maude, Colonel Sir Henry Horace McMahon, D.S.O.
The funeral, which will be by motor, will leave St. John's Church, Darlinghurst, for the Waverley Cemetery, this morning, after a service at 9.45.
(Sydney Morning Herald June 1926)

Articles from Trove -

No comments:

Post a Comment