Monday, 14 July 2014

52 Ancestors #46 Samuel Fielden

The story of Samuel Fielden provides an overview of many of the properties lived in by members of the Fielden family. The website, Todmorden and Walsden, is a valuable source of information for families and places in this region.

Samuel Fielden was born in Todmorden in 1664, the fourth son of Joshua Fielden (1630-1693) and Martha Greenwood (1634-1708). Joshua and Martha were married at St Chad's Church, Rochdale, on 21 October 1756 but shortly afterwards became Quakers and their children were brought up in a Quaker household. Joshua inherited land and the farm at Bottomley, Walsden, from his mother Elizabeth Fielden (d. 1639).
The farm comprised of a collection of stone buildings close together. The surrounding land was used for farming sheep. A packhorse track passing through the farm buildings and over the hill would have been used to take wool and / or woven cloth to market. The farm belonged to the Fielden family for approximately 200 years. This is where Samuel and his four brothers - Joshua, Nicholas, Thomas and John - and his sister, Hannah, grew up. The boys worked on the farm and as clothiers and "putters out'' of raw wool to the neighbouring cottage people to spin and weave. Consequently the boys learned the family business. 

Nicholas Fielden lived at Edge End Farm and Samuel joined him there for a time where they farmed as well as operated the woollen clothier trade. Edge End Farm consisted of 38 acres on the hillside above the Walsden branch of the Calder River.
After his marriage to Elizabeth Veepon on 20 March 1703, Samuel moved into Todmorden Hall, which had recently been purchased by his younger brother John and together, John and Samuel started a clothier business. Samuel and Elizabeth's first son, Thomas (1704-1785) was born at Todmorden Hall.
After John married Tamar Halstead in November 1707, Samuel and Elizabeth moved out to Flailcroft Farm where their next three children were born - Joshua (1707-1781), Hannah (B. 1709 and John (1712-1781).  
The following description of the farmhouse is provided on the Todmorden and Walsden website:
    Flailcroft was a small house, with two rooms downstairs and two upstairs and a long corridor running the length of the house leading to a kitchen and other service rooms. The entrance was through a porch in the gable end, leading straight in to the living area, and was typical of these early homes.
The house, now in Parkin Lane, Todmorden, was recently sold and is being refurbished.
Another view of Flailcroft Farm buildings
The family moved back to Edge End Farm after Samuel's brother, Nicholas, died in 1714 and continued to run the clothier business that the two brothers had previously established. Ellen (b. 1715), Mary (b. 1717), Martha (b. 1719) and Samuel (1722-1788) were born at Edge End Farm.


Edge End Farm remained in the family for several generations. Samuel and Elizabeth's son, Joshua Fielden and his family lived on the farm with his children, including Ann Fielden (1745-1786), being born there.
View from Edge End Farm
Two of Samuel's sons, Thomas and Samuel, inherited farms at Allescholes from their Uncle, John Fielden.

Samuel died on 19 July 1722, leaving Elizabeth with eight children to care for, five of them less than 10 years old. Elizabeth remained at Edge End Farm until her death in 1747. Samuel and Elizabeth were buried at Shoebroad Quaker Cemetery.
Samuel Fielden and Elizabeth Veepon were my great (x6) grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment