Saturday, 28 June 2014

52 Ancestors # 34 Annie Wilson Hardwick Weston

Annie Wilson Hardwick Weston was born at Coonamble, New South Wales, on 27 March, 1864. Her parents were William Clifton Weston and Jane Cox. Her father was a coroner and the family lived in different areas of New South Wales.

On 9 January 1889 Annie married George Hutton at St George's Church of England, Parkes. George owned the sheep station, The Troffs, west of Parkes. Annie and George had three children, William Clifton Weston (1889-1993), Eleonora Ruby (1892-1990) and Nancy Hazel (1889-1997).

According to family stories William was a very active little boy who was fascinated with water. Apparently the only way to keep track of his movements was to tie a lead to the kitchen table to stop him disappearing. The following report of William's death appeared in the Australian Town and Country Journal, 28 January 1883.
    A Sad Accident.-On Friday last at Nelungaloo a sad drowning fatality occurred. Mr. G. Hutton, who was proceeding to Sydney with his wife and children, broke the journey and intended staying for the night at Mr. J. G. Lackey's residence. His little boy, 4 years of age, wandered away from the   house. A search was made for the little fellow who was found in a creek close at hand in about 2ft of water. He was carried to the house and every effort made to restore life, but without success. Wide spread sympathy is expressed for Mr. and Mrs. Hutton.
The family lived in Parkes until the beginning of the 1900s until George, like many other pastoralists, was forced to sell his property after a seven year drought. George remained in Parkes finding employment as a rabbit inspector but Annie decided to take the girls to Sydney to live. George visited his family in Sydney from time to time but never lived with them again.

Annie appears to have had support from members of her family. Her sister, Ida (1868-1901), had married Herbert (Bertie) Balcombe and when the house and furniture was sold Berite purchased some of the furniture. He later offered to give the furniture to Annie's daughter, Nancy, but she refused the offer as she could not afford the transportation costs and did not want to tell the Balcombe's of her financial difficulties. Annie's brother, Percy, also helped her as he provided her with a home in Sydney with the understanding that when his family was visiting Sydney from Orange they would stay with Annie and her family. The Sands and Kenny Directories for 1903-1907 list Annie as living at 47 McLaren Street, North Sydney. From 1910 to 1915 the directories show that she was living at Wyalla, at 46 Upper Pitt Street, North Sydney, which she ran as a boarding house. In 1916 this property was sold to St Aloysius School.
Milson's Point, North Sydney
Important sale by auction, to-morrow, Wednesday, May 17, at 11 o'clock a.m
At the residence, Wyalla, Upper Pitt Street, North Sydney
(6 minutes' walk from Milson's Point ferry wharf)
By order of Mrs. G. Hutton,
In consequence of having sold her fine residence and her decision to relinquish housekeeping, the whole of her superior furniture and general household effects, including the complete furniture and appointments for large dining-room, hall, drawing-room, 15 fully-furnished bedrooms (double and single), including a superior and well-finished six-feet bedroom suite.
Valuable pianoforte, by Paling and Co., a high grade instrument, in splendid order
Also, kitchen and laundry furniture and requisites
Quantity of outside lots, large outside venetian blinds, suitable for verandahs, balconies, etc., etc.
W. A. Little, Fine Art, Furniture, and General Auctioneer and Valuator,
Auction salerooms and offices, no. 98 Pitt-street, Sydney,
Telephone, city 4036
Advertisement in Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 16 May 1916

Although there were many opportunities for women to assist the war effort in Australia, Annie decided to travel to England, the 'Home Country' or 'Mother Country', to offer her assistance there. Her eldest daughter, Eleonora, went with her while Nancy, who would have been 16, was told to remain in Sydney. There is a lack of certainty as to what they actually did in England but it is possible that Annie, who was a good manager, worked as a supervisor in a munitions factory and then in a canteen serving food. They returned to Australia in 1919.

When she died on 29 April 1924, Annie was living at 25 Alexander Street in Manly. She was buried at Manly Cemetery.

Annie Wilson Hardwick Weston was my great grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment