On 1 January 1806 George Guest was granted 24 acres at Macquarie Point, Hobart Town.
In 2012 a study was made of the Macquarie Point area and the Macquarie Point Development Project Historical Summary was published in January 2013. The area in red shows the location of the first land grants to George Guest (24 acres) and to Leonard Fosbrook (14 acres). This area of land was initially named Fosbrooks Point.
In this 1824 map of the original holdings, George Guest's land is the top section indicated. Fosbrooks Point was renamed Macquarie Point when Governor Macquarie visited the colony in November 1811.
The land was granted to George Guest and Leonard Fosbrook for the growing of crops to help increase the supply of fresh produce for the new colony. George and his family did not live on this land but lived in a building on additional land granted to them in nearby Campbell Street.
|Macquarie Point Development Office|
Looking through the fence it was possible to view some of the land that makes up Macquarie Point.
From the hill near the Cenotaph it is possible to look over the development on the present site.
|Mountain view from near Macquarie Point|
The actual completion of the project on Macquarie Point will not occur for another 10 or 15 years. A Master Plan has been developed and it is planned to seek expressions of interest from developers this year (2016).