George Mackillop 22 Jan 1835 reached and now known as Omeo
Mr George McKillop arrived March 1836, on 9 Nov 1836 has 2240 sheep, 1 horse, in partnership with Mr James Smith
Mr McKillop in Jan 1839 employed Bridget Carthy aged 15, Children's maid, who came on the Westminster
George McKillop, one of 469 voters who qualified by Freehold in Barabool Hills Geelong Electors List District of Bourke. Source - Melbourne Courier 8 Aug 1845
George McKillop Owned Property Barrabool Hills Geelong - Freehold Property
The above are from the website - Victoria before 1848 - http://www.oocities.org/vic1847/mc/mc16.html
Massacre on a property Gleorminston owned by George Mackillop and James Smith. The manager of the property - Frederick Taylor - who was responsible for the raids was also involved in a massacre at Barrabool Hills.
'A Djargurd wurrung clan that particularly suffered during the late 1830s was the Tarnbeere gundidj. This clan's name literally means belonging to Tarnbeere, or flowing water, a reference to nearby Mount Emu Creek. This clan was effectively exterminated in a massacre in early 1839 by a group of Europeans led by Frederick Taylor, the manager at George McKillop and James Smith's station at Glenorminston, adjoining Lake Terang. Glenorminston was also known as Weeraweeroit, after the Aboriginal name for the camping place and waterhole on the rivulet near the home station. Before his involvement in this massacre, Taylor had earned some notoriety through his involvement in the murder of a Watha wurrung Aborigine in October 1836. At that time, John Whitehead, a convict shepherd working for Taylor murdered Woolmudgin, the clan head of the Watha wurrung balug clan based in the Barrabool Hills near Geelong, apparently with Taylor's encouragement.'
Part of an article on the Museum Victoria website - article originally written by Ian D Clark, Scars in the landscape. Use the link for the full article.
Information on the history of the Barrabool Hills is provided at Barrabool Hills heritage listing
'Many of the European settlers who came to Victoria in the 1830s entered via the Port of Geelong, and the Barrabool Hills, visible from the port area, were regarded as potentially valuable pastoral country. As a result most of the area was selected for squatting runs by the late 1830s, and then surveyed in the 1840s for some of the earliest land sales in Victoria (Appendix 1G: Three parish maps). Ownership of the land encouraged the development of longer term crops such as vineyards: the area was the main source of wine grapes in Victoria until the industry was wiped out by Phylloxera in the 1880s.'